Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Lactation Check up

Savannah came over this morning. We went for a three mile run with Josiah. She took Rusty for me. He was pretty happy to come. I made it all three miles without walking. I think it helped that the weather was a bit cooler than it has been on my runs.
Savannah also helped me choose clothes for Josiah's photo session. I guess as a part of the hospital newborn photos someone comes out to the house to take photos and we get a free 8x10. I thought it was something she asked to sell me and I said no. Either way, I only paid $50 and got the slide show, and I guess now we also get this free 8x10 from today's session. The photographer was nice and Josiah was actually mostly content until he got sleepy near the end. He didn't smile. He was mostly serious and pouty.
After his pictures, we went to get Gyros. Josiah was good and slept the whole time. He actually slept all the way up until the lactation consultation. He weighed 10 lbs! What a little chunk! The nurse had me feed him on the right first. He ate 3.5oz in less than 5 minutes, figured by his weight before and after. She helped me differentiate the pain from a latch and from strong flow. She helped me express milk until it quit squirting like crazy to help not drown him. She was pleased with the reclining method to help decrease flow. She said if after a feeding my milk still sprays across the room I need to feed that same side again. She helped me set up block feeding time frames. So we are going to do 6 hours on the right then 3 hours on the left with a 6 hour break for bottle feeding and my rest at night. I was given even nicer hydrogel dressings for the sore spot on the left. They will last for 6 days each! Latching the left still hurts some, but she said the position was fine and a lot of my discomfort was the flow rate. She thinks my milk supply won't fully regulate for 6 more weeks. It's encouraging though to think she thinks this is just a phase. Oh, and the colic medicine is a good idea, and she said to give it every 6 hours to keep him as happy as possible since he obviously is getting an imbalance of milk. She also said any brand will work and to look online for a deal to make it more affordable. Once again it was quite a productive appointment and well worth my time.





No comments:

Post a Comment