Monday, April 22, 2013

4/22/13 Two Month Checkup

 

What I found in the living room when I got up this morning.

 

We are still going to the pediatrician that saw Josiah in the hospital right after he was born. I had wanted to go to a family practice physician, but the one I chose was on maternity leave, and we would have to establish care with someone else and then switch, so we decided to just stick with the doctor who saw him in the hospital. It has turned out to be quite a good choice. She is very good with him and very conveniently located. After talking today, Bryan and I think we will just keep taking Josiah there.

At the appointment, Josiah weighed in at 12lbs 1oz. We took bets on the way to the appointment with the winner to getting a massage by the loser. Bryan chose 11lb 5 oz, and I picked 11lb 8oz. I won! Really though, Josiah won. He was a whole 9 ounces more than I guessed! He is 23 inches tall, and his head is getting bigger, 38cm I think. He was in about the 45th percentile for weight and high 30s (like 37 or something) for height and head. He did pretty well except he was hungry because I was stalling feeding him until after the shots. He got 3 shots and an oral vaccine today. He cried when the first needle went in and cried all the more with the next two. He settled pretty well with nursing right afterword though. He slept pretty much solid though a lot of errands and straight until his next feeding. After that he was awake and kinda talking, kinda grumbling. He cried with any position change, and was not happy about anything.

clingy, lethargic, fussy baby

 

We just kinda like this the rest of the evening. We did normal monday dinner with friends and he cried all the time. We tried to eat and grumbled with little fusses for most of the time after that. He cried hard if we bumped his legs, tried to stand him on his legs, laid him on his stomach, or moved him when he wasn't ready. I decided to try Tylenol at that point. The doctor said he could have 80mg. Katie had a weight based graph that said that was double what he should get for his weight, so we tried the smaller dose. After we got home and he nursed again he was happy for about 45 minutes; cooing, laying on his back, and even tolerated a bit of tummy time before crying because of tiredness.

So tonight I plan to have him in the cosleeper in case he wants to eat frequently, and because nursing seems to be more comforting to him than a bottle. I have some Tylenol to give him at the next feeding, and I hope this way the three of us will get a little sleep.

 

1 comment:

  1. At first I felt bad about giving them the Tylenol but I got over it quickly. They are really sore after getting the shots and do not understand. Giving them a little Tylenol will help with the soreness and relaxes them so that they are not tense. You are a good mom!

    ReplyDelete