Sunday, March 24, 2013

Church

We finally made it to church again. The last two Sundays' attempts failed due to not sleeping at night and not being on functioning feeding times for Josiah. I now have enough milk in the fridge that it wasn't a barrier this time, and so Josiah ate second breakfast during church. It was good, but hard for me not to be distracted. The last time we went Josiah slept peacefully the whole service. This time he was grunting every few minutes, even while taking a bottle. My attention was divided between trying to keep my son from being a disturbance and paying attention to the service. Bryan held him the whole time, which may have contributed to my distraction; I was not in control, yet I felt responsible to control things. I know Bryan is very capable, and the most involved father I have ever been around. He is excellent at knowing what Josiah needs and how to keep him calm and quiet. I just could not let go of the idea that I had to help keep him quiet. I heard most of the message, I just didn't soak it in like I used to. I imagine this distraction continues throughout parenthood. I remember spending entire services trying to remove my dad's wedding ring. It had to have been distracting. I am sure I will learn to manage along the way as Josiah grows up.
One of the things I am most excited about for being on leave is the opportunity to attend weekly Sunday services. I hope we can make this happen better now that we are falling into a night/day pattern that is working most of the time.
After service, we went by BNC in hopes some people stayed late enough that they could meet Josiah and we could visit a bit. We caught Pastor Doug, Marie, Mark, the Andersons (all of them... Mike, Bobbie Elise, Bruce, Pam, Brent, Casey, and kids) Ray, Karen Good, Grace Armstrong, and the Fernandezs. It was good to see them and visit a little. I love the people at BNC. We went to Happy Panda for lunch with the Higleys and Reeces. John vibrated Josiah to sleep with bass notes. At first, he was just looking around trying to figure out what it was, and then his eyes started rolling back. It was pretty cute.
As we feared, from the drowsiness of the day, as soon as Josiah was fed when we got home, he was wide awake for almost 2 hours. Bryan held him while I napped. I love naps. I wish I could make myself take them more. I feel so much more rested now. We talked, had dinner, and watched a bunch of fun YouTube videos. Now I am watching Josiah while Bryan naps. Then we'll trade again for the night.
The last picture is after this morning's shower. I figured out how to shower both if us without Josiah crying, without help, and without dropping him!



No comments:

Post a Comment