Sunday, January 13, 2013

Cold weather means adventure, sunsets and fires

After church we stopped at a nature park so I could get some fun pictures of the organically flocked, as Bryan calls it, trees and plants. It was serene but cold, 27 degrees, to walk around and get the pictures.
We went out to the state forest to get fire wood (with the proper permit) today. We are running a bit low and we use wood to heat our home. We find it renewable, and most of the time free. I think it is $15 to go cut the down trees in the forest like we did today. They slow you to get a certain amount (about 3-4 full truck loads for us) over 3 weeks for that price. We hall it home chop it, stack it, burn it, and chip the chopping remains for ground cover. I don't think out furnace has kicked on at all this year. We have it set at something crazy low (55 or something). I love the feel of a wood fire in the stove. It feels like true warmth.
I wasn't much use today being 8 months pregnant. I scouted for good things to cut. Found a turn around spot for the truck on a walk and maybe loaded 10 of the smaller rounds. Really I got to walk in the woods with the pretty frost and snow, work on my knitted blanket while listening to bible podcasts and a book, and take cool sunset pictures. I enjoyed the adventure. I imagine it will continue to be this way in the future. I'll entertain the kids in the woods on a nature walk and with other outdoor activities while Bryan cuts fire wood and we all drink cocoa and head home.













No comments:

Post a Comment