Friday, January 18, 2013

34 week doctor visit

So far everything checks out good. They say my weight gain is perfect, even though I didn't gain any weight in the last two weeks. She said the baby seems to be growing just right based on feeling him and my fundis height being 34 cm. Baby's heart rate is still good, although he kicked somewhat violently in the direction of the wand and the sound. It made me giggle, which made my belly move, and she had to reposition the Doppler. She felt around and is pretty sure baby is head down. She said, if unsure at my next visit, she may want an ultrasound to check. My blood pressure is still hanging out at about 90/70. My heart rate is still in the 80's. There is still no protein or sugar in my urine.
My doctor seems very on board with an unmediated, non-intervention birth. That's more than I expected, considering she is a surgeon (OB/GYN). The only thing she insists on is I have to have an IV site once I go to the hospital. I can handle that. She recommends staying home as long as possible. When I asked what if my water breaks, she said it is the practice of her clinical group to have women come in right away at that point to get checked. So she said not to call to tell them it broke if it happens at 4 am and I want to go back to sleep. She said, in that case, to call at a more reasonable hour of the morning and come in then. :) I like that she will bend rules for me. She also said never to tell whoever I call that she said it was ok to wait. :) I found out it is routine for her practice to do oils and hot towels and massage to try to prevent tearing, and she can't remember the last time any of them did an episiotomy. All this was very reassuring. She talked about when she would want to do some interventions, but was receptive to me when I said I will be asking about their alternatives and desire to stay as far from them as possible.
When I  got home, I cleaned out the trunk of my car, started a Goodwill pile, and put away Christmas decorations. I mailed a check for newborn photography and Elijah's weekly package.
In the afternoon, I went on a 3.2 mile run with my mom and my dog to the bank. It feels good to run when it's cold and sunny. I love it! I think I was having painless contractions every 5 minutes or so while running. I rested afterword and they went away.



No comments:

Post a Comment