Saturday, January 12, 2013

Birth Class

We went to a one day birth class today. I might have preferred a class on the bradley method but when I decided that it was already too late to enroll in one, and I probably couldn't figure out how to work it into my work schedule. The class covered what to expect going into labor, positions to use in labor and pushing, what the various medical interventions are, and techniques to use to help with pain. It was a good class. I liked the floor work instruction trying out different breathing, relaxation techniques, labor positions. They only had us try one pushing position because statistics state that 80% will get an epidural and be limited in that choice. Practicing it was motivation to work hard every day till labor to prepaid myself and my body for unmediated labor. It was ineffective for sure, worse even than sitting on a western toilet and didn't even compare at all to how it feels using a squatty potty.
A squatty potty in the rural part of Japan
I also learned that music is a significant help to the Bradley relaxation technique, and that I like the deep breathing of the Bradley method much better than the Lamaze method. I may use the shorter breaths if I have to to get me back to deep ones, but they did not feel like they would help much with coping with pain.
I gained a lot of confidence in Bryan as my labor coach and in the ability to make decisions right for us if I am so busy coping that I don't want to participate. He was diligent, went the extra mile and did a great job coaching me into the correct position if I wasn't quite there. With careful preparation this will go very well for us.
We went to the fabric store on the way home because I needed a new blade for my rotary cutter. While there I saw that they now cary PUL in cute baby prints and bright colors. I am pretty excited to get some and try some projects with it. I heals back though so I can finish some of the projects I've already got.





















I got some sewing time when we got home. I was able to finish the blanket I have been working on. It looks really good. My stitches aren't exactly straight on the satan edging, but they are good enough to not be noticed unless they are scrutinized. It feels really good to finish another sewing project.

I like how the giraffe appliqué shows on the print side too.

No comments:

Post a Comment