Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Recovery is on the up and up

We got some good sleep again last night. Josiah fussed a little from 6-9. Eventually, I just laid as close to the edge of the bed as possible and gently rocked him side to side just a little. When he quieted down, I just left my hand there. I woke up at 8:30 with it still there and him peacefully sleeping. Maybe, he just wanted to cuddle. I got a shower in before his 9 am feeding. It feels great to be able to move around in the shower; I fit a lot better with my newly shrunk belly.
Mom made us a blueberry pancake breakfast with fresh squeezed OJ. She stayed and helped with work around the house. She did laundry, cleaned dust bunnies, finished prepping the veggies we had dug out of the garden when we prepped the beds for spring planting last Tuesday, made a portable clothes line, and did a number of other little things. She has been so motherly and helpful during this time. I am blessed with wonderful and Godly parents.
It only took us 20 minutes to get out the door for our first postpartum appointment. Yesterday, it took us nearly 40 min. This was the most helpful appointment I have ever been to. The nurse started by asking what we wanted to learn and added all that in through the routine things they needed to do. They weighed Josiah. He is 7lb 7oz today. He gained 2 oz since the day he left the hospital. They had me feed him on both sides and weighed him after each one and determined he ate an ounce each time. They said that's a lot. While feeding they gave me all kinds of pointers on how to improve what I am already doing, and how I can do it pain free. I also was told I am engorged, they helped me learn how to manage my over supply and taught me to use the breast pump. They want me to ice after feeding and pumping. Their effective and inexpensive ice packs are diapers soaked in water and frozen. Reminded me of the diapers filled with ice chips that I sat on during labor. I was told to take these home and use them and re freeze them. They are very effective and keep me from getting wet while icing. I didn't think I'd find so many uses for disposable diapers. Well, maybe now I will actually use those free samples I was given. They also taught me how to deal with the discomfort from tears, what bottle to try first, proper milk storage, showed me what was what on my pump, and helped me get the right parts to use it, and what nursing bras to add to my stash, all in a 45 minute appointment.
We tidied up the house when we got home. Bryan got the living room nicely arranged to include Josiah's swing. I started sorting through a bin of clothes from Katie, but got distracted setting up the breast pump, so I'll finish tomorrow. I am on the hunt specifically for newborn sizes, 0-3 month clothes are way to big on Josiah. I think I found enough smaller ones, I just need to reorganize the dresser so I know where to find them.
Dinner tonight was brought to us by Terry and John Higley. It was wonderful to see them and let them get a good amount of time with Josiah. Dinner was great. We had pasta figole soup, homemade rolls cut up variety of fresh fruit, and brownies. We showed off his nursery before they went home.
Bryan and I finished the movie Hugo while Josiah had second dinner and I pumped. Success! Another 1.5 oz pumped. We have 3 oz now. Maybe, we'll try a bottle soon.
To bed with me now, so I am rested enough to do this again tomorrow.
One of the pictures is showing off my ice packs, not dirty diapers.







No comments:

Post a Comment