Thursday, July 18, 2013

7/18/13 Cloth Diapering Adventures

After we returned from Hawaii I began the quest for a night time diaper. I didn't want to have to change Josiah every time I fed him at night because he just got so mad and I felt it was an additional disturbance to his sleep. So, I did a lot of internet research and decided to try what I had first. So here is a video I made about my night time diaper hunt.

This worked for about a month and we started to get leaks again. Josiah's legs are just so chubby that things aren't fitting perfectly. Bryan also thought that since Josiah isn't sleeping though the night very well at all, and his troubles with shorter sleep cycles began around the time I started night time diapering that the two might be linked. (I think it's because we took him to Hawaii and brought him home and I started working that he never got his routine back and is just all screwed up from that.) He suggested trying something else for night time. In all my reasearch I decided what I wanted to buy if I got to buy supplies for night time diapering, so I showed Bryan and he was ok with the idea. We bought two fitted diapers from a shop on Etsy called SootheBaby and a couple of hemp inserts to boost the absorbency of what we were already doing.

The fitted diapers need a cover. I have the Thirsty's duo wrap covers that I was already using which I figured I would try. I think they are part of what is causing our current leaking problem so I don't have much faith that they'll work. I also saw in my research some stuff about wool covers that made me want to try one. They are just so expensive and we agreed to actually stick to a budget so we really can move to the country some day. The ones I want are 3 ply and therefore don't get you wet when you pick up a heavy wetting baby in the morning, but they are $26 plus shipping and are sized so they won't fit the whole time.

This morning I remembered I had this sweater in my fabric bins.

I was keeping it for an upcycle clothing project some day. I checked the tag and it is 100% lambs wool. I found a few tutorials on YouTube on how to make wool longies and shorties and how to lanolize your wool. I got to work around 5 this evening and here are the pictures of the results.

One single layer longie and one triple layer shortie. I can put the wool pants over the shortie in the winter, and when using the AC in the summer, to keep Josiah's legs warm ,or I can leave them off and still have good protection in warm weather!

I made the pants really big in hopes they will fit for another 6 months. the legs are double cuffed to fit.

 

Hurray for free! I even had everything I need to lanolize them, so they are hanging on my clothes line right now in hopes that they will be dry tomorrow evening for testing over the new fitted diapers. We are testing the one below tonight with a Thirsty's cover.

One other cloth diaper adventure we have had is the diaper bag. I was forever not bring my purse or not bringing the diaper bag because either I didn't want all the luggage or couldn't handle the two together, so in effort to improve, I bought a mom bag. See my video below.

 

This is all my recent cloth diaper adventures. I am sure there will be more to come as we try camping and backpacking this summer, and as Josiah continues to grow. I'm hoping his diapers will fit him until potty training, but at the rate he is growing now, I am not sure that they will.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment