Tuesday, July 16, 2013

7/16/13 Flash back to Epic Relay 6/21-22

It took some doing to pack me and Josiah and Bryan all for the relay, but I got it taken care of since I had designated a whole day to do it in. I even found time to make Josiah a couple speedy turtles onesies to wear while cheering for the race.
Everyone met at my house at 7:30, or something early like that, the day of the race. Van 1 runners got organized and headed over to the starting line and then most of us in van 2 went over to watch them take off. Jason and Savannah didn't make it due to Jason getting off work at 9am that morning.
What are we doing at the start? Van 2 runners
Gordan, I think, is the man in blue, who was our first runner. He ran with the Speedy Turtles for the Hells Canyon Relay.
My first leg. I got the hand off from Savannah.
Happy because I just started
I am supposed to be in the background of this picture, but I ran behind the sign just in time to miss it.
All done with the first leg.
My first leg was at 4:45pm on Friday. It was 5.49 miles. It was 73 degrees and cloudy, and I ran it in 53:03 minutes. My team stopped to give me water and spray me down every 2 miles. I didn't pass anyone, and I think I got passed by a couple people.
Nicole holding Josiah
the sunset at our first rest stop

At our first rest area, I tried to sleep, but I just laid there for 1.5 hours. Christy woke us all up when she got a text saying that the last runner of the next van was out, but it turned out to mean he just started, not that he was 10 minutes away. So we had an extra hour waiting around for him to get there. No harm really because I don't think any of us were really asleep even though we were trying to be.


Josiah sleeping though the sunset.
This is what Josiah wore to sleep in the field at the second sleeping spot. It's a long sleve onesie, an Columbia OmniHeat long sleeve shirt, some cotton pants, a fleece fubby, cashmere socks over wool socks, and a bunting. Bryan called him Ralfy.
Bryan, Nike, and Josiah went to our next sleeping spot ahead of us, while we all ran in the dark. My second leg was at 3:14 am. It was 51 degrees with a full moon. I ran 5.21 miles in 50:21, 9:39 minutes per mile. I ended up pumping milk before this leg so Bryan could give Josiah a bottle before going to sleep at the sleeping area. I listened to fast country songs, and my team stopped every 2 miles to give me coconut water.
Josiah and Remmy riding around in the back of the truck.
Christy running with Jason. (I think this is day one and just out of order.)
Spraying Calvin down on his last run.
Preparing for my last run by dousing my hair.
I decided it was too hot for a shirt. Who cares about baby fat, I just didn't want to melt.
My last leg was at 12:33pm. It was 85 degrees and sunny. I ran 4.09 miles in 43:50 minutes, 10:43 pace, and I didn't walk, which was my goal. My team stopped every mile to give me coconut water, pray me down, and put ice water on my bandana around my neck. As a team, we finished in the middle of about 40 teams. It was crazy, but we had a lot of fun.

I think I slept a total of 3 hours from 6am friday until 6pm saturday. But I still liked it. Adding being a nursing mom to the mix of figuring out when to eat and drink before a run was a challenge, but my amazing husband just followed us around in the truck and dealt with everything. I just had to figure out when to feed Josiah to not have it land in the middle of running.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment