Sunday, October 19, 2014

2nd Pregnancy Reflections

I find myself looking back though my blog posts and pictures trying to remember what it was like last time I was pregnant and how it is different this time. I guess I need to keep blogging because I want it for my own memory.
We are pregnant again. What a miracle this time. We weren't trying. We had decided not to prevent or even chart on a calendar just because we had to have fertility help to conceive Josiah. Then one day nursing started to hurt.
(Yes I made it past teeth and past 1 year and stopped at 1 year 2 months when it was hurting so bad from pregnancy and when Josiah was getting so fussy and not nice about nursing. There was one awkward prenatal appointment with a lumpy breast exam due to backed up ducts because it had been almost a week. That same day when we got home before nap, Josiah asked to nurse, he nursed nicely we both enjoyed it and it was the last time. I expected it would be and already thought we were done when he asked that day. The ducts were all unplugged and we both have a good memory of the last time for him.)
I avoided taking a pregnancy test for a while, thinking I was imagining symptoms. When I could ignore them no longer, I realized that, if I was pregnant, the due date would be very close to Christmas. Thanks to the timing of my own birthday, I was not thrilled about that idea. After a day or two of that fear I finally used a due date calculator and found out the date would be the first week of December. I decided that wasn't bad at all and so the next day I bought a few dollar tree pregnancy tests (figuring I'd have more scares like this each month). The test was positive right away. I actually brought the test out so Bryan and I could watch it change together. We spent the morning talking about potential baby names and didn't tell anyone even family for a few days while we got used to the idea.

The stats:
due: December 5, 2014
2 kids under the age of two
gender: found out it was a boy (after the only name we could agree on was a girls name)
name: we have had a lot of trouble with this but will probably go with Timothy Jacob Wright since is the only thing that hasn't been thrown out by one or the other of us.
symptoms: at first nipple pain, then nausea and lots of it didn't go away till 22 weeks, but no vomiting, tiredness, and rapid first trimester weight gain (7 lbs in 12 weeks...)
social: Katie and Melissa also pregnant with girls. Katie's born in August and Melissa wasn't due until October 8th, but delivered in early September.
Josiah and Natalie. 
Josiah and Eleanore. 
I have been seeing the midwives at Providence Maternal Care Clinic since we moved to the country on the east side. I will be delivering at PPMC. I think it'll be ok, but if I had a different choice I'd probably choose to be some place where I don't know so many people. The prenatal check ups have been great and just the way I like to receive care. They give me information and let me make decisions. 
Now that I am 32 weeks along I am having some complications. It keeps being changed what it is, but I think we are settling on some partial bladder prolapse, or decent or something. It is causing parineal bulging and discomfort. I have been assured that my cervix is up where it belongs so the baby is safe, and that isn't the problem. I just have to go to OT for exercises and maybe some day need a bladder surgery to hang it back up where it belongs.  I have a lot of contractions braxtin hix mostly but I had one hour of real ones. The real ones were probably related to the uterus needing more oxygen and me being a bit anemic. My hemoglobin count was 10.8. Good hydration, careful positioning when sitting, and iron supplements have helped. I am way less fit than last pregnancy, maybe not less active, but I sure can't run or move quickly and I think stairs are worse than they were before.
I haven't had any troubles continuing to work yet though! I am hoping to squeeze as many work days as I can in before the baby comes to maximize my available work time. I will probably end up with 3 of my 4 months of leave unpaid. If he comes on time or early and I am feeling up to it we will probably try to travel to California for Christmas to see my Dad's family and to see Bryan's family, since this is probably one of the only times I'll have this much vacation around Christmas.
Being pregnant with a toddler has proven to be hard for me. I try not to lift or cary him much because the pressure makes the bladder thing worse. It is hard to have the energy to keep up with him and to have the creativity to keep him busy and happy without over wearing myself out. The late summer weather has been a blessing since we can be outside so much. He loves to be outside and doesn't mind playing out there with me just sitting and watching. It's been fun watching him with babies. He seems to love them and want to snuggle them and pat on them like he does for affection, just sometimes a bit too hard. He doesn't seem to understand why we pat my belly and say baby and not his or anyone else's. He also doesn't get why each boob isn't also a baby. We'll see if he figures it out before his brother comes.




No comments:

Post a Comment